In this world of neck-breaking competition, we all try to stay on top of everything. Even with a great job, we find it difficult to maintain our standard of living and end up complaining about the lack of barakah in our lives and wealth.
Before we start discussing the tips to add barakah in our lives and wealth, let us understand what barakah is.
The term “Barakah” means an increase in growth or productivity of one’s resources; the available resources may last longer, have a bigger impact while their outcomes turn out to be greater. Barakah might also be seen as a protection against unforeseen losses, like theft or illnesses.
Here are a few actions which will help add barakah in our lives and wealth:
- Have Faith in Allah: Remember Allah is the only One who has power over everything. It is only Him who can endow us with blessings or take away the ones we have. We must fear Him and choose the path of righteousness as is shown by Him. If we do so, He will reward us greatly, that is His promise and He never breaks any of His promises.
“……. And whoever fears Allah – He will make for him a way out. And will provide for him from where he does not expect. [Qur’an, 65: 2-3]
- Be Thankful: No one is blessed with everything. We may lack one thing or another in life. Whatever the circumstances, we must believe in Allah and His wisdom and remain grateful for the blessings He has given us. This not only gives us a peace of mind but also adds barakah to our resources.
“And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, ‘If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.” [Qur’an, 14: 7]
- Ask for Forgiveness: We, as human beings, make mistakes. Wrongdoings and hurting Allah’s creations are among the reasons why barakah leaves us. At times, we do not even realize our faults. Hence, we must keep asking for forgiveness every day and as much as possible. Prophet Mohammad (P.B.U.H) said:
“If anyone continually asks pardon, Allah will appoint for him a way out of every distress, and a relief from every anxiety, and will provide for him from where he did not reckon.” [Abu Dawud]
- Give Charity: We help the creations of Allah Subhana Wa Ta’ala by doing charity and, in turn, Our Lord rewards us with an increase in our wealth and adds barakah to it.
“Say, Indeed, my Lord extends provision for whom He wills of His servants and restricts [it] for him. But whatever thing you spend [in His cause] – He will compensate it; and He is the best of providers.” [Qur’an, 34:39]
In another verse, Allah says:
“The likeness of those who spend their wealth in the Way of Allah, is as the likeness of a grain (of corn); it grows seven ears, and each ear has a hundred grains. Allah gives manifold increase to whom He pleases. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knower.” [Qur’an, 2:261]
- Be Honest in Your Dealings: A believer must be honest in his dealings. He should never steal or waste time at work or deceive his customers. It is Allah who blesses one with barakah and if one tries to sell defected goods to his customers without informing them, the profit will never have any barakah in it. Allah’s Messenger (P.B.U.H) guided us in this matter:
“The buyer and the seller have the option of canceling or confirming the bargain unless they separate, and if they spoke the truth and made clear the defects of the goods, then they would be blessed in their bargain, and if they told lies and hid some facts, their bargain would be deprived of Allah’s blessings.” [Bukhari]