Allah Subhana wa Ta’ala sent His messengers to guide the mankind to the right path. All the messengers were sent for specific eras and nations with the only exception of the last of them, Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H). To Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H), the Lord of the worlds revealed the Holy Quran which is the last book with instructions for all the nations and all the generations to come.
“And this is a Book which We have sent down, bringing blessings and confirming (the revelations) which came before it: that thou mayest warn the Mother of Cities and all around her. Those who believe in the Hereafter believe in this (Book), and they are constant in guarding their prayers.”[Qur’an, 6:92]
Since the Holy Qur’an is the last and unaltered message of Allah Subhana wa Ta’ala, it deserves to be held in the highest esteem. There are some points that must be followed when one picks up the Noble Qur’an.
- Ensure Cleanliness: Cleanliness is a virtue which is appreciated by Allah Ta’ala and all the worships require one to stay clean. When you decide to recite the Holy Quran, make sure you have made your ablutions or Wudhu. Also, one must remain clean throughout the reciting session.
- Look for Clean Place: Make sure the place you choose is also clean and respectable. Do not recite it in a smelly, dirty place. This is a book which should be respected.
- Begin with Ta’awudh and Tasmiah: Shaitan whispers negativity in our ears when we try to get close to Allah Ta’ala. One must recite Ta’awudh to seek refuge from him.
Ta’waudh (translation): “I look for protection in Allah from Shaitan, the accused one.”
After ta’awudh, we should recite Tasmiyah to begin the recitation with Allah’s blessed names.
Tasmiyah (translation): “In the name of Allah who is most gracious, the most Merciful.”
- Recite calmly and slowly: Do not hasten. Recite Quran calmly and patiently to receive the blessings. The proper recitation brings immense peace to mind and heart.
- Pronounce correctly: Qur’an is in Arabic which is a vast language. A small alteration in pronunciation may result in a word with a different meaning. When reciting Allah’s words, we must make sure that we read them all accurately.
- Beautify the recitation: Recite as beautifully as possible. It is the right of this amazing book to be read in an admirable manner.
“Allah has not permitted anything like He has permitted a Prophet to recite the Holy Quran in a good voice.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
- Pay attention to the meanings: The book is more than Arabic words. It has the holy messages from the Creator of the universe. We must try our best to understand the meanings of the words and ponder over them.
“[This is] a blessed Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], that they might reflect upon its verses and that those of understanding would be reminded.” [Quran 38:29]
- Recite regularly: This is not a book of stories to be read and put aside. We must read it on a regular basis. If you read it every day, you will learn about Allah Ta’ala and the right path each day. It is a miraculous book. No matter how many times you read it, you will learn something new from it every time.