We are living in a world of competition where it is necessary to keep moving forward. These efforts, sometimes, affect our relationship with Allah subha na wa ta’ala. A busy life is often blamed for not being able to recite Qur’an on a regular basis.
A close relationship with Qur’an is important because it is the only thing which tells you about the right path in your Lord’s words. As is stated in Qur’an:
“There has come to you from Allah a (new) light and a clear Book. By which Allah guides those who pursue His pleasure to the ways of peace and safety and leads them out from darkness unto the light, by His will, and guides them to a straight path.” (Al Qur’an, 5:15-16)
Hence, in order to be guided toward the light of hidayah, one needs to strengthen his relationship with the book of Allah. The question which arises here is how to incorporate Qur’an in our busy lives. Here we have come up with a few tips which might help you:
• Make dua: since the lives are, indeed, very busy these days, one should ask for Allah’s help in this matter as well. Be sincere in your dua and He will make things smooth for you. For, surely, Allah is the best listener and is the One who can change hearts and make lives easier.
• Set a time: reciting Qur’an every day is not obligatory but is one of the essentials strengthening faith. In your daily routine, set aside a specific time for Qur’an each day. You could, for example, decide to devote some time to it after Fajr or Isha prayers or after lunch. Make it your priority and do not skip it for trivial things.
“And those who strive for Us – We will surely guide them to Our ways.” (Al Qur’an, 29:69).
• Start small: taking a huge burden upon oneself often results in little to no good outcomes. When you start with daily Qur’an recitation, start by reading small passages, say 5 ayahs, each day. You may increase the quantity after some time. Even if you stick to the little quantity, just make sure you are consistent. Remember this hadith of prophet Mohammad (P.B.U.H):
“The acts most pleasing to Allah are those which are done continuously, even if they are small.” (Muslim)
• Listen to Qur’an recitation and tafsir: it is the easiest and probably the most convenient way of staying in touch with Qur’an. Download some Qur’an recitations and tafsir lectures in your phone or mp3 player and listen to them on your way to and from work or college. I would say that you should not stop reading but this will be an additional way to add Qur’an to your everyday life.
• Form support groups: support groups have become popular these days and they do work. Look for friends around you who would like to recite, learn and/or understand Qur’an, and form a circle with them. Meet for an hour each day and listen to each other’s recitations. This will help you, inshaa Allah.
Do not give up on Qur’an. Hold on to it firmly and it will guide you the path leading to Jannah, inshaa Allah.